Thursday, March 19, 2015

The Crow's Gym Thoughts: Vol. 10

Crow's #Gym Vol. 10
The only thing that has ever stopped me from reaching my goals is me. Either I decided I couldn't, or I decided I didn't want to. When I decided that I could, I did. The best thing I ever did, was raise the bar higher.

Gym Term of the Day from The Health Whacko Gym Term Dictionary ..
Ballistic Stretch
This involves dynamic muscle action where the muscles are stretched suddenly in a bouncing movement. For example, a ballistic stretch for the hamstrings might involve touching your toes repeatedly in rapid succession. The problem with this stretching technique is that rapid stretches invoke a powerful stretch receptor response that can result in injury. Further, after you do these exercises, the stretch receptors are overactive. This may lead to injury during an activity such as running or playing tennis.

Exercise of the Day from The Health Whacko Gym Encyclopedia of Arm Exercises ..
Biceps Curl (Cable Head Crunch)
Target MusclesBiceps brachii, Brachialis, Brachioradialis
Starting Position:
1. Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
2. Hold two high cables straight out at the shoulders.
3. Bend the working arm to 90° at the elbow and bring it in so that your forearms are beside your head and your hands touch above it.
The Movement:
1. Bend your elbows as you curl the cables up in a smooth arc towards the back of your head. Keep your upper arms fixed straight out from your shoulders.
2. Hold for a count of two; then slowly lower the cables back to the starting position.
Tips:
• Do not move your upper arms or elbows at any point of the movement.
• Keep your body absolutely still- make sure you do not lean back or stand on your tip toes as this will strain the back and reduce the work on the biceps.
• Keep your wrists locked.
• Lower the cables under control until your' arms are fully extended  shortening or rushing the downwards phase will reduce the  effectiveness of the exercise.
Variations:
Single Arm: In this variation you are doing a cross between a cable curl and a concentration curl. Good luck on this one because I always lose my balance, but I have seen people do it.