Today isn't just a new day, it is the ONLY day. You can spend all the time you want at a computer or a coffee shop table complaining about your bad eating habits, and your poor exercise routine, but what are YOU doing about it, and why haven't you started NOW. All of the bad eating yesterday, and all of the good intentions tomorrow don't amount to a hill of beans. The only day you have is today, and what you do with it is what really matters.
Gym Term of the Day from The Health Whacko Gym Term Dictionary ..
When a muscle fiber develops sufficient tension to overcome a resistance so that the muscle visibly shortens and moves a body part against a resistance, it is said to be in concentric contraction. When you curl a dumbbell, the biceps muscle contracts concentrically. The resistance is the combined weight of the forearm and the dumbbell, and the source of resistance is the gravitational pull.
Exercise of the Day from The Health Whacko Gym Encyclopedia of Back Exercises ..
Target Muscles: Latissimus dorsi, trapezius, rhomboids, Infraspinatus, Teres major and minor, Biceps, Posterior deltoidsStarting Position:
1. Hold a dumbbell in your right hand, palm facing your body.
2. Bend forwards from the hips, placing your left hand and knee on a bench to stabilize yourself. Your back should be flat and almost horizontal and your right arm fully extended.
1. Pull the dumbbell up towards your waist, drawing your elbow back as far as it can go. Keep the dumbbell close to your body.
2. Allow the dumbbell to touch your rib cage lightly. Pause for a count of one; then slowly lower the dumbbell until your arm is fully extended.
3. After completing the required number of repetitions, perform the exercise with your left arm.
• Keep your lower back flat and still- do not twist your trunk.
• Make sure you row the dumbbell to the side of your rib cage - do not pull the dumbbell up to your shoulder.