Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Get Up and Move

Losing weight is not all about working out or diet.  It is a combination of the two.  It is not just the amount of calories you burn versus the amount you consume.  But also about the types of calories you consume.
There are so many options.  So many fads.  It’s enough to make your head spin.  Hmmm, maybe that will help with the journey!

But no, seriously.  So, where should we start today?  And please remember, there is no such thing as a magic pill.  Trust me, I’ve tried. Your success comes down to one thing…okay, maybe two. 

Dedication and Consistency.

I think the reason why there are so many options available is simply because no two people are created equally.  Our bodies are different, work different, react different, our motivations are different, weaknesses and strengths are different, etc.

Let’s look at exercise options first.
  • VARIOUS at home DVDs and equipment
  • Classes at a gym
  • Sports
  • Swimming, running/walking, cycling

·        Perhaps when you look at that you think I’m a crazy lady because that really isn’t a lot.  But when you break it down, the options are endless!

I personally work out at home.  I do this for a few reasons.
  • Convenience – I don’t have to drive anywhere, I don’t have to prepare for it or the rest of my day, I can simply focus on my workout alone
  • Time – Mornings work best for me even though I am not a morning person, so if I miss it, I can sneak it in say when supper is cooking or the kids are watching a movie
  • Money – Let’s be honest here, I have four kids, any money I do have is dedicated to providing a good life for them.  Spending $40 a month just on me seems selfish.  When I look at the invest I have made for all of my equipment, and the bonus is that it is right there for my kids to use as they get older as well
  • Me – I am shy.  I will not push myself hard in a public space.  I don’t want people to hear me breath heavy or watch my face turn red as the sweat beads off.  I like to have my stuff set up in a certain way, my music plugged into my head.

This is just me.  There are many benefits to working out in a gym.  The biggest ones I can think of are the variety of available equipment.  I love the TRX but don’t have that at home, or a treadmill, for example.  And then there is the group mentality that comes with all the moral support of being a gym member.

Today was Shoulders and Back Strength Day.  I did 3 sets of 12 reps of the following:
  • Shoulder Press
  • Push Ups
  • Lateral Arm Raises
  • Front Raise
  • Rear Delt Fly
  • Horizontal Pull
  • Bent Over Row
  • Dead Lift
  • Hip Raise to Bridge
  • Superman
With my new routines I tried to pick exercises that people could easily do at home without equipment.  The only one that you would need something for would be the horizontal pull.  I have an equalizer that I love and wanted to start using it again.  For added weight one could always pick up a small dumbbell set.  But if this is a new journey for you, no weights or a couple of cans is still a good start.

(c) Rachel Rennie 2015

NO EXCUSES.