Where you workout matters a lot less than how you workout. I go to Planet Fitness because I can afford it. I also go at 2am where I am for the most part alone. Of course I have been going there since there was one location in the basement of an old mill building in Dover New Hampshire, where the Golds Gym that vacated left all of it's equipment behind. It's been many years and many generations of equipment since then, but the only real thing that has changed is that I am the only one of that first couple hundred that still works out at all. The attitude is all you need.
Gym Term of the Day from The Health Whacko Gym Term Dictionary ..
A type of exercise program in which you assume exaggerated postures that stretch muscles, joints, and connective tissues, hold these positions for several seconds, and then relax and repeat the postures. Regular stretching exercise promotes body flexibility and reduces the chance of injuries while training with heavy iron.
Exercise of the Day from The Health Whacko Gym Encyclopedia of Core Exercises ..
Knee Lift (Roman Chair Oblique)
Target Muscles: Rectus abdominis (especially the lower part), Hip flexors
1. Rest yourself on your forearms and grasp the handles for support.
2. Your arms should be fully extended and your lower back slightly arched.
1. Take your legs slightly behind your body.
2. Bring your knees up at a curling angle so that your ankle touches the dip handle in front of the arm rest.
3. Hold for a count of two; then slowly return your legs to the starting position.
4. Repeat in the opposite direction to complete one rep.
• Do not swing your knees up or use the momentum of your legs - use the strength of your abdominals to move your hips and legs.
• For maximal results, raise your legs to approximately 30-45° to the horizontal. The abs shorten only when your legs go past parallel- below this point, they hold a static contraction as the hip flexors raise the legs.
• To make the exercise easier, bend your knees to reduce the resistance