Dedication is the key to anything. Dedication to your marriage, dedication to your hobbies, dedication to your career and your own health is no different. This is a milestone really as I celebrate 90 Gym Thoughts, and I am one post away from 200 Health Whacko blog posts. This dedication came from the very fact that every day I can wake up, do some writing and then head to the gym. It's a good life when you can gain dedication, and for me it all started at the gym. Wouldn't it be great if the gym could get you there too?
Gym Term of the Day from The Health Whacko Gym Term Dictionary ..
Muscle tissue, including all the skeletal muscles, that consists of myofibrils. Striated muscles are composed of bundles of parallel, striated fibers. Each striated muscle is covered by a thin connective epimysium and divided into bundles of sheathed fibers containing smaller myofribrils. The muscle's contractile units, or sarcomeres, comprise the larger protein strands or myofribrils.
Exercise of the Day from The Health Whacko Gym Encyclopedia of Core Exercises ..
Leg Lift (Hanging)
Target Muscles: Rectus abdominis (especially the lower part), Hip flexors
1. Hang from a chin up bar, the top frame of a smith machine or anywhere else that your feet will not touch the floor.
2. Your arms should be fully extended and your lower back slightly arched.
1. Take your legs slightly behind your body.
2. Keeping your legs almost straight, exhale and raise them upwards as high as possible. Ideally they should come just above the level of your hips. Focus on curling your hips towards your rib cage.
3. Hold for a count of two; then slowly return your legs to the starting position.
• Do not swing your knees up or use the momentum of your legs - use the strength of your abdominals to move your hips and legs.
• For maximal results, raise your legs to approximately 30-45° to the horizontal. The abs shorten only when your legs go past parallel- below this point, they hold a static contraction as the hip flexors raise the legs.
• To make the exercise easier, bend your knees to reduce the resistance