Protein is the key to building muscle. We all know this and we have all known this for as long as we have known how to build muscle, but do you know how to keep track of the amounts of protein you take? Actually it is pretty easy. If you are maintaining your weight while doing serious muscle building, you need about 1 gram per pound of weight on you. In my case it would be about 165 grams. If you are really serious about gaining muscle mass then you need 2 grams per pound of weight. In my case that would be about 330. At 4 calories per gram that's 1320 calories which should be about a third of your "gaining" diet, or in my case 3960 calories. On a maintain diet it would be 1980 calories. Tadah!
Gym Term of the Day from The Health Whacko Gym Term Dictionary ..
The tiny grooves of muscle across major muscle groups in a highly defined bodybuilder. If you have muscle striations, even when completely relaxed, you know you are in optimum condition.
Exercise of the Day from The Health Whacko Gym Encyclopedia of Core Exercises ..
Crunch (Machine Upright)
Target Muscles: Rectus abdominis (mainly the upper part)
1. Adjust the machine to your optimal height requirements.
2. Sit on the machine with your feet firmly on the floor.
3. Place your hands on the handles beside your head
4. Press your lower back to the pad in the back of the seat.
1. Use your abdominal strength to pull your upper body down towards your knees.
2. Hold in this contracted position for a count of two.
3. Let your body uncurl slowly back to the starting position.
• Focus on moving your ribs towards your hips.
• Do not pull your head with your hands keep your elbows out and relaxed.
• Exhale as you contract your abdominals.