Sunday, August 16, 2015

The No BS Routine - Day Two - Legs & Lower Torso


Well after my first revelation that I should do a NO-Bullshit rundown of an actual workout, start to finish, I figured I better do it for the last lifting day. This also happened to be when I was told by my wife that my ass was sad and I needed to step up the legs and glutes routine. This is a brand new routine than what I had done up until this week and hopefully we'll see how it works over the next couple of months. I can tell you how it felt two days afterwards, but I don't like to create 3 pages of complaining.

This is what I came up with ..


Heavy Single Sets
Dumbbell DeadliftsThe trick with any kind of deadlift exercise is to start a lot lighter than what you can usually tap out at, so that you can do perfect form and get your blood flowing to the muscles. 3 or 4 sets of 8 to 12. 12 is what I absolutely expect from my-self on the first 3 sets and then I treat myself to number 4.


Heavy Single Sets
Dumbbell Forward LungesThe trick with any kind of lunging exercise is to start a lot lighter than what you can usually tap out at, so that you can do perfect form and get your blood flowing to the muscles You can also hurt yourself pretty easily with these if you start too heavy. 3 or 4 sets of 8 to 12. 12 is what I absolutely expect from my-self on the first 3 sets and then I treat myself to number 4.


Heavy Single Sets
Dumbbell Straight Leg DeadliftsThis is another idiot equalizer. Notice how I don't wear a belt and I am not doing weights to show off? Slow and steady with very little low back work ok? 4 sets of 8 to 12. Shoot for 12 on the first 3 sets and at least 8 on 4.


Moderate Giant Set: 
This is 4 specific exercises all done in a row on the same machine, then rest for at least two minutes (the typical time it takes to walk around the inside of the building) 4 Sets so Start LIGHT. The order of these are specific so that the same weight will be difficult the entire giant set. You can see the whole giant set here!
Wide Stance Leg Presses: Your Goal is to reach 12 Reps
Wide Stance Calf Presses: Your Goal is to reach 12 Reps
Narrow Stance Leg Presses: Your Goal is to reach 12 Reps
Narrow Stance Calf Presses: Your Goal is to reach 12 Reps


Aggressive Stretching Set: 
These four stretches are done together with an emphasis placed on loosening up the muscles and the lower back. These should be done between every one of the Giant Sets above. This is what the whole set looks like!
Tippy Toes: You do these for a hard count of 40. Breath in One, Breath out Two, Breath in Three, etc until you reach Forty.
Fall Back: You do these for a hard count of 40. Breath in One, Breath out Two, Breath in Three, etc until you reach Forty.
Tippy Toes: You do these for a hard count of 40. Breath in One, Breath out Two, Breath in Three, etc until you reach Forty.
Super Hero: You do these for a hard count of 40. Breath in One, Breath out Two, Breath in Three, etc until you reach Forty.


Moderate Tri-Sets: 
These three exercises are done together with an emphasis placed on form. Take a two minute break between each set or as I said above take a walk around the inside of the building. 4 sets that start with a moderate weigh and go up each set.
Calf Extensions: Your Goal is to reach 12 Reps
Leg Extensions: Your Goal is to reach 12 Reps
Hack Squats: Your Goal is to reach 12 Reps


See Above


See Above


The Ultimate Giant Set:
These nine exercises are done together with an emphasis placed on form. Take a two minute break between each set. Concentrate very hard on every core muscle you are trying to work and you will have a much better set of results.
Low Back Machine: Goal is always to do at least 12 Reps but no more than 20.
Upright Ab Crunches: Goal is always to do at least 12 Reps but no more than 20.
Kneeling Oblique Twists: Goal is always to do at least 12 Reps but no more than 20 in each direction.
Standard Crunch Machine: Goal is always to do at least 12 Reps but no more than 20.
Hanging Leg Lifts: Goal is always to do at least 12 Reps but no more than 20.
Back Extension Bench: Goal is always to do at least 12 Reps but no more than 20.
Abdominal Rocker: Goal is always to do at least 30 Reps but no more than 40 straight on, and at least 20 Reps but no more than 30 on each side slant.
Roman Chair Leg Lifts: Goal is always to do at least 20 Reps but no more than 30. Optionally do side lifts for 10 or so on each side.
Abdominal Rolls: Goal is always to do at least 12 Reps but no more than 20.


See Above


See Above


See Above


See Above


See Above


See Above


See Above


See Above

After a couple of hours of this I usually can walk around stretching all the muscles I worked and cause some pain. If I am not totally blown out after this routine then I probably was goofing off too much and need to reassess my life. I almost always do some cool down sets of Bar Twists (See Below) so that I can loosen up my legs and torso.