Saturday, September 12, 2015

The #SelfieSaturday Project and Some Reflections


I have to admit, the last two weeks I have been saying that I have blown through all of my strength barriers and this would make it three straight weeks. I've been going through my training logs and in one year I have gone from 20 lb cable flyes to 50 lb cable flyes. If that doesn't sound like much consider this: I do perfect sets, no screwing around, and today I did 8 perfect 50 lb (each arm) cable flyes. What's more impressive actually aside from the 20 to 50 in a year, it has been 35 to 50 in the last month, so I am forced to look at what has changed in my routine. Unfortunately nothing has changed in my routine, so I narrowed it down to a few other factors. One or all of these contributed to the massive gains in strength.

1. I had brought my body fat down to about 7% and have gradually added weight over the last 3 months.
2. Over the last 2 months I have built up my body's tolerance to soy protein. I was royally sick of products with hidden soy messing with my system. Now I have built up my tolerance to near normal.
3. I have added maltodextrin to my after workout diet. For those that are into over analyzing your health, maltodextrin has probably been one of those things that you have learned is evil, but as far as being a fast absorbing carbohydrate that floods muscle interiors it is perfect.

I will keep you posted as I find out more.

Now onto this week's videos, from The Health Whacko on the YouTube Channel ... (Don't forget the Health Whacko on Google +Twitter and Pinterest for more goodies like animated GIFs, tips and tricks)

Dumbbell Pull Overs

Add this to the list of exercises that I just hate. In theory it is a very important exercise for getting at the inner part of your pectorals. In reality it is obnoxious and I hate doing it, but I do.

Dumbbell Step Ups

I saw one of the women at the gym doing these the other day, so when I was doing legs yesterday I added 3 sets of these to my normal routine. In all honesty I felt nothing while I was doing these, but about an hour after my workout my legs started feeling like they normally would the next day, and the next day they actually felt like I pretend they feel when I am bragging about that killer workout I just had.

Dumbbell Straight Leg Deadlifts

These are actually a great exercise for your hamstrings, glutes and lower back, but as I have realized over the last month or so of doing these, they are really good for adding some mass to your traps. Watch in particular how I complete each upright stance and you will see how it works the traps.

Smith Machine Military Press

Most people know that the good old fashioned military press is one of the best exercises for the shoulders, but despite the "Smith Machine Haters" belief that everything from ligament tears to STDs will happen if you use a Smith Machine, if you are focusing heavy on your traps then this way really does it. As most people know I use the dumbbells for the shoulders the bars for the traps.