Saturday, September 19, 2015

The #SelfieSaturday Project Then and Now

Well there is some results, to show why I started doing the #SelfieSaturday Project. I started about a year ago, and here is a side by side comparison of what I looked like then and what I look like now. At first glance you would see that I am relatively the same size, but a closer look will show you a few other things that I am very proud of, and wouldn't have noticed them if I didn't keep track of them in this manner.

1. Look at those shoulders! Damn I have increased the musculature of my shoulders so impressively that there is a lot of definition between them and my arms. Some might say it ain't much but it looks damn good on me.
2. It's a little hard to tell in this picture because of the top I am wearing but I have actually increases my upper torso by several inches while at the same time bringing in my waist by a little over an inch.

I'm sure I could sit here and find some things to pick apart too like how much grayer my my hair has gotten and apparently the stuff on top of my head talked to the stuff on my chest and they are starting to blend. I also wish I had taken my legs as seriously as I had my shoulders and chest, but that is what I will be talking about next year when I compare this year's photo to next years, mark my words.

Now for this week's videos! I actually made 6 this week so you should have plenty to look at. First in keeping with my new and improved shoulders I made 3 different videos on different upright rowing techniques. You all have seen the independent arm cable jobs that are in my posts, but here are three others for you to look at and decide which works for you. (Don't forget the Health Whacko on Google +Twitter and Pinterest for more goodies like, Video, animated GIFs, tips and tricks)

Barbell Upright Rows.

This seems to be the way I see most people doing their upright rows. I don't know if it is because it is how they learned to do it, they are just used to it or whatnot. I have found this to be the least effective way to really work the shoulders completely. The same people that would cry about anyone using a Smith Machine always seem to think THIS way of limiting your range of motion is perfectly okay.

Cable Upright Rows

Yet another way to do upright rows which gives you a much greater range of motion but unlike the indy arm ones you can end up throwing off your symmetry if one side of your body gets lazy and the stronger side starts making up for it. If I don't have dual towers to work with this is how I do it, and that does happen from time to time.

Dumbbell Upright Rows

You could say that I am doing these wrong and you would probably be right BUT, I do these as well as the usual indy arm upright rows I do. If you really want to feel a serious burn in the front and back deltoids look no further than these babies. You can thank me later

Now I am going to reveal 3 core exercises I was reading about in a magazine that I thought looked stupid, and decided to do just so I could make more videos. Well that was until the next day when my obliques and lower back muscles were in a good agony. They will now be a twice a week endeavor in my routine. (Don't forget the Health Whacko on Google +Twitter and Pinterest for more goodies like, Video, animated GIFs, tips and tricks)

Core Planking

Core Planking - 5 by 5 - Assume a push up position but support your weight on your forearms. Hold for 10 seconds = 1 rep. Rest for 2 to 3 seconds between reps.

Bird Dogs

Bird Dogging - 5 by 5 - Get on your hands and knees and raise you left arm and right leg until they are in line with your body. Hold for 10 seconds. Alternate and repeat to complete 1 rep.

Side Planking

Side Planking - 5 by 5 - Lie on your left side your legs straight and upper body propped on your left forearm. Raise tour hips. Now hold for 10 seconds. Alternate and repeat to complete 1 set.