Sunday, October 4, 2015

The Crow's Gym Thoughts: Vol. 125

Crow's #Gym Vol. 125
You'd be surprised the things I learn because I blog. No seriously, I started keeping a health blog, so I started paying greater attention to what I was doing at the gym. I started paying greater attention to what I was doing at the gym, so I could blog about it, then I started taking pictures of myself to track the progress. That became a blog and a year later I have a years worth of progress evidence. Somewhere in there I started recording my exercises for those (like myself at one time) who don't get it, can figure it out. Then down the road I am making new videos of the same exercises I had already taken video of to show myself and others how much better I am at it. All it took was an investment of time, and some determination and I feel better, look better and better yet, I have proof for others who may need a little push. Most importantly I have all that proof for when I NEED a little push.

Please Follow the NEW Health Whacko Google +TwitterPinterest and YouTube Channel!

Gym Term of the Day from The Health Whacko Gym Term Dictionary ..
Barbell
Normally measuring between four and six feet in length, a barbell is the most basic piece of equipment used in weight training and bodybuilding. You can train every major muscle group using only a barbell. There are two major types of exercise where barbells are used
adjustable sets (in which you add or subtract plates to achieve the total weight desired), and fixed barbells (in which the plates are either welded or bolted in place and the total weight of the barbell is a set number). You may see fixed weights arranged by poundage in various gyms. The total weight of that barbell will likely be etched or painted on the plates. Fixed weights will save you the time of adjusting the weight in between sets. Adjustable weights are seen more commonly in home gyms, because it is very cost efficient to buy a bar, with several plates and clips to lock the weight in place.

Exercise of the Day from The Health Whacko Gym Encyclopedia of Leg Exercises ..
Calf Raise (Dumbbell Single Leg)
Target MusclesGastrocnemius, Soleus
Starting Position:
1. Hold a dumbbell in your right hand with your arm hanging down by your side, palm facing your body.
2. Place the ball of the right foot on the edge of a block or platform, allowing your heel to hang off the edge.
3. Hold on to a suitable support with the other hand to steady yourself.
The Movements:
1. Rise up as high as possible on the ball of your foot.
2. Hold the fully contracted position for a count of two; then slowly lower your heel down as far as it will go.
3. Complete the desired number of repetitions; then repeat on the left leg.
Tips:
• Keep your exercising leg straight throughout the movement.
• Keep your body upright.
• Stretch your calf fully at the bottom of the movement - your heel should be lower than your toes.
• Keep the movement smooth and continuous.
Variations:
Toes pointing out: Angling your feet outwards at 45° places more emphasis on the inner part of the calves.
Toes pointing in: Angling your feet inwards at 45° places more emphasis on the outer part of the calves.