Saturday, October 17, 2015

The #SelfieSaturday Project and a New Attitude


This was a good week, not just because I was on vacation and could spend some extra time in the gym, but because I have changed my attitude around on a few things. I started finding more weight bearing exercises that I can do on the Smith Machine and let me tell you, it really feels good. I know there is a whole flock of people waiting to swoop in now and start in *using a high nasal annoying voice* "A Smith Machine is the wrong way to do that" blah blah blah. Fact is some of us only have access to Smith Machines and a few of us also have really bad back issues. My back issues are fine actually but I don't have Olympic bars at my disposal.

Which leads me to this weeks NEW videos, as I get my Smith Machine on. I had some amazing results doing various deadlift exercises with the Smith Machine that I was doing with dumbbells because I didn't have an Olympic bar, and here they are ...

Smith Machine Straight Leg Deadlift

I was actually surprised at the burn I got from doing these. Yes I realize that the track is going to make my stamina suffer, but since I still do dumbbell straight leg and regular deadlifts these are good for building some extra power.

Smith Machine Squats

Just because my disks have regenerated don't mean that squats aren't a dangerous idea for me. They are and I don't fool around with free standing squats. Sue me. I get all of my stamina issues worked out with the deadlifts, where dropping the weights is always an option.

Smith Machine Romanian Deadlift

These were also shocking like the straight leg deadlifts. I could really assert some power without worrying about back and stamina issues. Since I still do the dumbbell versions, I have my stamina covered.

Smith Machine Calf Raise

I'm sure someone is going to say that you need to do these free standing too but I have never found the benefit of doing calf raises away from a Smith Machine so I never really tried. I use the feet of a bench for my toes instead of a couple of weights because it is a HELL of a lot more stable.

And now a couple of other leg exercises while we are on it ...

In Place Dumbbell Lunges

These are probably the most underutilized gold mines of leg development. Any form of lunges will work all of your leg muscles and should be a staple in your routine. These are how you do them if you have limited space.

In Place Barbell Lunges

These are probably the most underutilized gold mines of leg development. Any form of lunges will work all of your leg muscles and should be a staple in your routine. These are how you do them if you have limited space.

Please Follow the NEW Health Whacko Google +TwitterPinterest and YouTube Channel!