Saturday, October 24, 2015

The #SelfieSaturday Project and Training Mode


Another good week, with more leg progress. Above you will see that I decided to go with a side pose this week but that is so that I can demonstrate that it is good to look at yourself from the side once in a while because it is easier to see if you lost weight or built muscle than looking head on. You'll note that again I have loaded up on the leg videos, but one of the best ways to keep track of how you are doing is to do videos. I also happen to be trying more new and interesting things as it pertains to my legs so that is why I just so happen to have more leg workout videos as of late. I am down four pounds from when I made the proclamation that I had to cut some of the hip fat to make my pants fit better.

Earlier in the Gym Thoughts today I had said that it was important to keep your warm up sets (in my opinion) to lower than your body weight. If I weigh 170 then I should never use a weight above that for my warm ups. The reasoning is sound because my warm up set will be to increase bloodflow and relate form and flexibility. The first of the leg videos will be an instructional on this theory so that you can see what I mean as I take you through it.

Leg Press Stretching Quad Set Warm Up

Now to walk you through what you just saw, we'll start with the first part, the wide stance leg presses. Note how I get my knees as close to being in my armpits as possible. The weight I am using is around 160 including the platform, so it is within the "under 170" range. The stretch in the hamstrings and glutes is very important. The complete range of press throughout the entire quadriceps will be felt the next day trust me.

As you go into the wide stance toe presses the important part here is that you actually concentrate on the calves and feel the ripples go from the top to the bottom. The stretch here is in how well you can concentrate while you are getting the full range of motion in your ankles. You should be feeling this part in the inner parts of your calves.

Now while you are doing the narrow stance portion of the leg presses let's think about what we are actually working here as well as how we do them. You need to get your knees into your chest as much as possible. If this is not something you can do then you need to lower your weight and keeping working on it. People who over weight their presses and get no range of motion are just showing off and not getting the full benefits. You will feel this right in the center of your quads and as an added benefit you will get quite a burn on your lower abdominals as well.

As you go into the wide stance toe presses the important part here is that you actually concentrate on the calves and feel the ripples go from the top to the bottom. You're probably in a lot of pain at this point from the rest of the motions so just bear it. The stretch here is in how well you can concentrate while you are getting the full range of motion in your ankles. You should be feeling this part in the outer parts of your calves.

Jefferson Lift Squats

Don't laugh but these are old school and I couldn't believe how much of a burn I got off of these. I'm adding them to my usual routine from here on out!

Single Leg Dumbbell Squat

I see the girls doing these at the gym all the time so I decided to try them. Let me tell you it started balancing out the burn on both legs since squats and deadlifts seemed to effect my left leg more than the right. Adding these made them both wobbly the next day.

Dumbbell Half Lunges

These were an accident, but I really liked them, gave them a name and here we are. If you can't do the single leg dumbbell jobbies above then try these. They make your back feel better to.