Saturday, November 21, 2015

The #SelfieSaturday Project Examines the New Split


It's been another amazingly productive week for me at the gym. I spoke last week briefly about a new app that I downloaded (Android only, sorry Apple folks) that has pushed me to a new level. I also talked about having to spread my split out which is a little difficult but I am doing my best. With Wednesday being a "Cannot Lift Day" thanks to my early schedule at work on Wednesdays, I had maintained a 3 - 3 - 1 split which looked like this,

Back & Shoulders Day 1 (aka Thursday)
Lower Torso & Legs Day 2 (aka Friday)
Chest & Arms Day 3 (aka Saturday)
Back & Shoulders Day 4 (aka Sunday)
Lower Torso & Legs Day 5 (aka Monday)
Chest & Arms Day 6 (aka Tuesday)
Completely Off Day 7 (aka Wednesday)

As I had talked about last week I was forced to accept that I am too old for that type of a schedule and it was accentuated by the fact that my new and improved Leg Days routine was keeping me in limping pain 7 days a week. Now of course there are many theories that could go into why I was in limping pain 7 days a week, but I wanted to believe that it was age and regeneration levels before I explored the other reasons, various diseases, lifting too much. not in as good a shape as I would like to believe, etc etc etc. Thank God within one week of just adding a day, my legs feel great. Now enters the new problem with having a day that I can't lift reasonably, so I started a modified split that looked like this,

Back & Shoulders Day 1 (aka Thursday)
Lower Torso & Legs Day 2 (aka Friday)
Chest & Arms Day 3 (aka Saturday)
Lower Torso & Cardio Day 4 (aka Sunday)
Back & Shoulders Day 1 (aka Monday)
Lower Torso & Legs Day 2 (aka Tuesday)
Completely Off Day Floater (aka Wednesday)
Chest & Arms Day 3 (aka Thursday)
Back & Shoulders Day 1 (aka Friday)
Lower Torso & Legs Day 2 (aka Saturday Today)
Chest & Arms Day 3 (aka Sunday Tomorrow)
Lower Torso & Cardio Day 4 (aka Monday)
Back & Shoulders Day 1 (aka Tuesday)
Completely Off Day Floater (aka Wednesday)
Lower Torso & Legs Day 2 (aka Thursday)
Chest & Arms Day 3 (aka Friday)
Lower Torso & Cardio Day 4 (aka Saturday)
Back & Shoulders Day 1 (aka Sunday)
Lower Torso & Legs Day 2 (aka Monday)
Chest & Arms Day 3 (aka Tuesday)
Completely Off Day Floater (aka Wednesday)

Now of course this is where it gets a bit more difficult (also an age thing) because it is very hard to remember where I left off or what I can do next. Also that extra day has increased my ability to do a little more each time to, so I need to make sure that I am doing a little more. Here's where the Fit Tracker comes in. It records exactly what I did at the gym and tells me exactly how much more I have done. Of course many have noticed that it can also post these things to G+ for me, in a way of "tattling on myself" and don't think ego doesn't fuel a persons gains. Here was the example from today,

FitNotes Workout - Saturday 21st November 2015

** Crunch Machine **
- 140.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 150.0 lbs x 12 reps

** Crunch **
- 125.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 140.0 lbs x 12 reps

** Hanging Knee Raise **
- 12 reps
- 12 reps

** Hanging Leg Raise **
- 20 reps
- 20 reps

** Ab Rocker **
- 30.0 lbs x 80 reps
- 30.0 lbs x 80 reps

** Bar Twists **
- 120 reps
- 120 reps

** Torso Twist **
- 140.0 lbs x 24 reps
- 150.0 lbs x 24 reps

** Back Extension **
- 12 reps
- 12 reps

** Back Extension Machine **
- 140.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 150.0 lbs x 12 reps

** Barbell Squat **
- 90.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 140.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 180.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 230.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 270.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 320.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 360.0 lbs x 8 reps

** Romanian Deadlift **
- 90.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 140.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 180.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 180.0 lbs x 10 reps

** Stiff-Legged Deadlift **
- 40.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 45.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 50.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 55.0 lbs x 6 reps

** Leg Press **
- 140.0 lbs x 24 reps
- 230.0 lbs x 24 reps
- 320.0 lbs x 24 reps
- 410.0 lbs x 24 reps
- 500.0 lbs x 12 reps

** Calf Press **
- 140.0 lbs x 24 reps
- 230.0 lbs x 24 reps
- 320.0 lbs x 24 reps
- 410.0 lbs x 12 reps

Of course another great thing about seeing what I did in this format is, I no longer wonder what the Hell I am doing for two hours at the gym. The obvious answer is working out. Now I am off to burn God knows how many calories on all those leaves outside. Have a great weekend!