Monday, February 1, 2016

#MotivatedMonday and #SelfieSaturday Project Part Three


This week I have started using the home gym in lieu of the actual gym. I'll explain that a bit more when I am ready to, but to accomplish this I have to rely on my BowFlex and my Building Blocks. Might as well turn this into a "How to build a home gym on the cheap" episode. A couple of investments that I have made along the way are a used BowFlex and a used pair of Building Blocks. They both cost a fortune when they are new but thanks to lack of follow through many people buy these things and then sell them on Craigslist of Ebay for cheap money just to get them out of their houses.

For about 400$ used I bought a BowFlex Ultimate about 4 years ago. I haven't really used it all that much because I have been more of a gym rat but if you think of it this way it has been 100$ a year so far for a decent "backup plan" and as I found out this week "attitude" is more the problem than equipment. I have been learning how to get a good workout with it and maybe next week I will start posting some pointers I have discovered. For 100$ I bought the Building Blocks that nobody used, and they give me adjustable dumbbells from 5lbs to 50lbs all taking up the same amount of room as two ordinary dumbbells.

Now the bench on the BowFlex is perfectly fine for doing all of my dumbbell presses, and shoulder exercises using the dumbbells, so nothing has really changed there. The leg attachment (that comes with the Ultimate) works just as effectively as the leg machines at the gym. I am still learning on the rest. Another great feature that the BowFlex gives you is that without adding another machine it is an excellent rowing machine which will go along way as I am in the middle of the Fat Out Challenge at work (Oh yeah down to 177 lbs this morning) and again the space requirements for my entire home gym is an 8 x 11 spare bedroom that was hard to use for anything else.

Have a great week everyone!