Thursday, February 18, 2016

The Crow's Gym Thoughts: Vol. 186

Crow's #Gym Vol. 186
Along with my recent revelations (and graphs) on how weight loss looks more like a yo yo on everyone than a cliff, it's also good to learn what days yield what results so that you can take them in stride. What do I mean by this? Well my best example is that I range in weight depending on what body parts I happen to be working out. I am easily two to even three pounds heavier on a day I work Chest and Arms (because I hold more water) and I can't rest my hat on the weight I am on Wednesday (my off day) because I have no water weight at all and usually weigh at least a pound less. Once you know these things then there is no shock when you stand on the scale and you can even gain a sense of humor about it.

Please Follow the NEW Health Whacko Google +TwitterPinterest and YouTube Channel!

Gym Term of the Day from The Health Whacko Gym Term Dictionary ..
Hypertrophy
The scientific term denoting an increase in muscle mass and an improvement in relative muscular strength. Hypertrophy is induced by placing an "overload" on the working muscles with various techniques during a bodybuilding workout.

Exercise of the Day from The Health Whacko Gym Encyclopedia of Core Exercises ...
Crunch (BowFlex Resisted)
Spinal Flexion
Muscles worked: This exercise emphasizes the abdominal area including the upper and lower front abs (rectus abdominus) and the side abs (obliques).
Pulley position: Wide or narrow.
Starting position:
• While seated in the 45 degree position, spread the cuffs from the handles and put the arms through, positioning each cuff around the front of the respective shoulder.
• Your lower back can start out flat or in a normal arch, knees and hips are bent and your feet are flat on the floor.
Motion:
• Tighten your abs and curl only your torso, slowly moving your ribs toward your hips. Move as far as you can without moving the hips or neck. THE LOWER BACK SHOULD NOT LOSE CONTACT WITH THE BENCH when fully crunched.
• Slowly reverse the motion returning to the starting position, without relaxing.
Key points:
• Allow exhalation up and inhalation down, don’t exaggerate it.
• Do not lift your head/chin. Your head should follow the rib motion, not lead, allowing you to maintain normal neck posture.
• Tighten your abdominals throughout the entire exercise range of motion. Do not let your abs relax until the set is over.
• MOVING SLOWLY to eliminate momentum is critical.
• This exercise will NOT spot-reduce fat!