Do you get a little self conscious at the gym? Find yourself waiting forever for equipment? The best advice I think I can give anyone when they are new is to pick the right time to go to the gym. If you show up at 5 pm or 6 am then you have picked the best times to wait, be crowded out in the locker room, and for the most part be completely frustrated. Unless of course you are one of the people who just like to go to the gym to socialize and check out the opposite sex. Find a way to get to the gym at the off hours and it will be a much easier time for you. Especially when you are new and timid.
Gym Term of the Day from The Health Whacko Gym Term Dictionary ..
A high - rep set, usually in the range of 15 to 20 repetitions, of a basic exercise which is done after a peak weight has been handled in that movement. Usually a pump set is the last one done on a particular basic movement. A pump set is also sometimes called a down set.
Exercise of the Day from The Health Whacko Gym Encyclopedia of Chest Exercises ..
Row (PowerBlocks Single Arm Kneeling)
Target Muscles: Latissimus dorsi, trapezius, rhomboids, Infraspinatus, Teres major and minor, Biceps, Posterior deltoids
1. Hold a PowerBlock (or Dumbbell) in your right hand, palm facing your body.
2. Bend forwards from the hips, placing your left hand and knee on a bench to stabilize yourself. Your back should be flat and almost horizontal and your right arm fully extended.
1. Pull the PowerBlock (or Dumbbell) up towards your waist, drawing your elbow back as far as it can go. Keep the PowerBlock (or Dumbbell) close to your body.
2. Allow the PowerBlock (or Dumbbell) to touch your rib cage lightly. Pause for a count of one; then slowly lower the PowerBlock (or Dumbbell) until your arm is fully extended.
3. After completing the required number of repetitions, perform the exercise with your left arm.
• Keep your lower back flat and still- do not twist your trunk.
• Make sure you row the PowerBlock (or Dumbbell) to the side of your rib cage - do not pull the PowerBlock (oe Dumbbell) up to your shoulder.